Scotch Eggs In Tomato Sauce
3 cloves of chopped garlic
2 chopped green onions
2 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil
2 large 500g can of organic purred tomatoes
1 basil leaf
A dash of salt and pepper
1/2 a cup of grated parmesan cheese
2 peeled carrots
6 hard eggs
5 raw eggs cracked open and placed aside
2 lbs of ground pork
2 lbs of ground chicken
1.5 cups of seasoned Italian bread crumbs
1. Using a blender, combine 2 cloves of chopped garlic, onions, basil, 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and tomatoes.
Place in a pot and simmer on low heat for 25-30 mins with lid partially on. Add 2 whole carrots to the sauce.
2. In a pot filled with cold water place 6 eggs inside. Once the water boils, turn it off and place aside with lid on (time for 30 mins).
3. After 30 mins, rinse eggs with cold water and place aside.
4. For meatball mixture, combine ground meats, 5 eggs (cracked), bread crumbs, 1/2 a tsp of salt and pepper, parmesan cheese and 1 clove of chopped garlic.
5. Mix all together well.
6. Grabbing one boiled egg at a time, scoop a handful of the ground meat mixture and build your meatball around the entire egg creating a large ball. Repeat this with the remaining 3 boiled eggs.
7. Bake jumbo meatballs in the oven drizzled with 1 tbsp of olive oil for 25 mins turning them over once. Then add them to your sauce and continue cooking for an additional 10-15 mins.
Recipe makes 6 jumbo meatballs