Quinoa and Lentil Stuffed Butternut Squash
I love quinoa and equally love lentil beans for many reasons but mainly because they both can replace meat due to their high protein content. This is a meatless vegetarian dish that is filling and satisfying! It can be eated alone or as a side dish. It all depends on your own specific dietary goals.
This dish is especially loaded with fibre and protein and i am very excited to share it with you.
Butternut squash is a fabulous vegetable that doesn't get the credit it so deserves. Loaded with fiber, vitamin B6, and vitamin E and minerals like potassium and magnesium, it is a vegetable that definitely needs to be in your shopping cart! Just the same, lentils are a power food high in so many vitamins and minerals and should therefore be added to your daily diet.
For this dish, i wanted to infuse a little bit of Mexican flavours and so if you like Mexican food, you will love this Stuffed Butternut Squash recipe. If you desire, try topping it with sour cream, guacamole and nacho chips!! This will be a fantastic combo! Yummy!
1 butternut squash cut into half and inside seeds removed
1 240g can of lentils drained
1 cup of boiled quinoa drained
2 stems of sliced green onions
2 tbsp of tomato paste
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
1 tbsp of wishashire sauce
2 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of water
Dash of salt and pepper
1/2 a cup of crumbled or sliced feta cheese
1/2 a cup of fresh curly parsley
1. Using a baking tray, bake butternut squash at 400F. Cut into halves and lightly salt them. Bake in oven for 40 mins or until squash is soft.
2. In a wok, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, cooked quinoa, onion, lentiles, cilantro, water, tomato paste, whishashire sauce and salt and pepper. Cook on low heat for 10 mins.
3. Remove squash from oven and scoop out pieces of squash. Add squash to lentil and quinoa mix. Ensure that the centers of each squash are left hallow. Mix all together.
4. Fill squash halves with quinoa and lentil stuffing and drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Top with feta cheese and parsley.
5. Place back into the oven for an additional 15 mins.
If you need to make additional stuffed squash then just double up on the recipe ingredients.