Vegetable Casseroles are always a great side dish for any meal, party or occasion. They are a hearty dish that everyone loves and appreciates. I love casserole dishes because they are love in one pot! So much goodness can be added and different vegetables can be used. This version of the dish is simple and lighter where I substituted more whole and healthier ingredients without compromising the taste. Assembling this dish only took 20 mins and the baking time was only 30 mins.
The taste of this casserole is amazing and the breadcrumbs make it extra tasty!
For this recipe you will need:
2 bunches of broccoli cleaned and stems removed
1 bunch of cauliflower cleaned and stems removed
1 cup of of salted butter
1 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
3/4 of a cup of low sodium vegetable broth
1 heaping tbsp of whole plain yogurt
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of salt and pepper
2 cups of grated sharp white cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Wash veggies and steam for 5 mins. Place them in a large casserole dish.
2. In a pot, melt 1/2 cup of butter and broth together.
Remove from heat and mix in yogurt. Place in a beaker and add spices, mix and pour over veggies.
3. Add grated cheese on top of veggies.
4. In same small pot melt the remaining 1/2 cup of butter. Remove from heat and add breadcrumbs. Ensure to mix it well. Pour breadcrumb mix over veggies.
4. Cover with lid and bake for 30 mins.
5. Broil with lid off for an additional 3 mins to make the top golden and crispy.