One of my most vivid family memories is when my mom use to make shepherd’s pie for us. I would love to sit and watch my mom make this hearty meal from scratch because we all loved to eat it! The original shepherd’s pie calls for potatoe and ground beef but I substituted yams and ground turkey instead. Yams add fibre and a lot of flavour and turkey is a much leaner protein. What i love most about this dish is the fact that it has all the major food groups baked into one hearty and delicious meal.
For this recipe you will need:
2 medium yams peeled or 4 small baking potatoes
1 tbsp of salted butter
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp of whole plain yogurt
1 300g pk of ground turkey
1 cup of frozen sweet peas
1 large Carrot diced (optional)
1 garlic minced
1/2 a spanish onion diced
Dash of salt and pepper
2 fresh basil leaves
2 tbsps of tomato paste
1 teaspoon of cornstarch
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of grated romano cheese
1/3 of a cup of chopped fresh parsley
1. In a pan, fry onion and garlic with oil for 2-3 mins on medium heat and then add meat. Cook together for 5-10 mins stirring a few times. Add peas, spices, tomato paste and water. Add cornstarch and stir. Cook for an additional 5-10 mins without a lid. Place aside.
2. Add peeled yams and boil in a large pot for 35-40 mins. Drain and add butter and yogurt. Mash all together using a potato masher.
3. In a medium corningwear, add meat mixture and then add mashed yams using a spatula to ensure yams are even.
4. Top with grated romano cheese.
5. Bake in the oven covered for 30 mins at 400F. Then remove lid and broil for an additional 5 mins. Top with fresh parsley.