Classic Homestyle Shepperd’s Pie
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, Shepperd’s Pie is the ultimate comfort food to indulge in.
You can add any of your favourite veggies and it will always taste amazing! There are many different variations of this dish, but here i decided to make a simple yet classic Shepperd’s Pie recipe. It really is a balanced meal that can be made ahead of time or the same day! Made with gravy or tomato sauce, it always puts a smile on everyone’s face. The ingredients are not many and really only takes 30 minutes to prepare before baking.
For this recipe you will need:
2 lbs of lean ground beef or ground turkey
1/4 cup of chopped white onion
1 cup of frozen peas
1 cup of frozen corn
3 baking potatoes or yams
1 250g can or package of low sodium gravy mix
4 tbsp of plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup of chopped chives
2 tbsp of parmegiano cheese
1. In a pot filled with water, boil potatoes or yams for 30 mins. Drain and mash using a potato masher. Add greek yogurt and mix well.
2. Preheat oven to 400F.
3. In a wok, combine ground meat and onions and cook for 8-10 mins. Add peas and corn and cook for an additional 5 mins. Add gravy, mix and set aside.
4. Using a large corningwear dish add ground meat mixture. Then, add mashed potatoes.
5. Top with chopped chives and a few sprinkles of parmegiano cheese.
6. Place in oven and cook covered for 25 mins. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 10-15 mins. Broil for a few minutes if more liquid needs to be cooked out.
7. Let stand for 10 mins before serving.