Spaghetti Squash Filled Cups
This is a lovely dish that takes under an hour to prepare. It is an excellent meal if you do have a little of extra time on your hands. It is a great dish to serve your guests for any occassion. You can skip the rice if you are on a low carb diet or you can substitute the brown rice with quinoa. These spaghetti squash cups look impressive and they taste delicious!
I have a couple of variations of this recipe here that i made. In one dish, the shrimps are breaded and are accompanied with sausage. In the other one, the shrimps are not breaded and i skipped the sausage.
2 large spaghetti squash cut into half creating 4 halves
3 large pieces of mild sausage cut into 1/4 inch slices
16-20 frozen uncooked medium shrimps (remove tails)
1 cup of coconut flour
2 eggs (beaten in a bowl)
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper
3 tbsps of extra virgin olive
1 cup of brown or multi-grain rice or quinoa
1/2 a cup of fresh parsley cut into small pieces
3 tbsps of low sodium soya sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Cut spaghetti squash into halves. Add 1/4 tsp of salt & pepper on all halves. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Place in oven facing upwards, uncovered for 30 mins. Once cooked, remove them from the oven and using a fork scratch the inside surface of each squash creating squash spaghetti.
3. Fill a pot with water and when it comes to a boil, add rice and cook according to directions (Times will vary). Drain and place aside.
4. Using two empty bowls, add flour into one bowl and the egg mixure into the other bowl. Dip shrimps first into the egg and then into the flour.
5. Add 2 tbps of oil into a wok. Fry shrimps for 5 mins or until they are golden brown. Remove shrimps from wok and then add them to a seperate dish and place aside.
6. Using the same wok, add sausage slices and cook for 10 mins, mixing at halfway point.
7. Add cooked shrimps, rice and parsley to the wok. Add Soya sauce and mix well.
8. Take each spaghetti squash and fill each with the sausage & breaded shrimp or shrimp and rice mixture.